WATERMILLS OF THE RIVER BOURNE
Locations and names of mills.
Name OS Reference 25” sheet No. Tithe map No. Status in 1980
Old mill TQ 606 565 41/1 CTR 406B demolished
Basted mill (paper) TQ 607 561 41/1 CTR 406B modernised
Lower Basted mill (corn) TQ 605 555 appr 41/1 or /5 CTR 406B demolished
Winfield mill TQ 607 551 41/5 CTR 406B demolished
(Lound mill/Longmill (M Roots) TQ 614 536 41/9? (I’m uncertain about this mill)
Roughway mill TQ 615 528 41/9 CTR 406B modernised
Hamptons mill TQ 617 521 41/9 or /13? CTR 334B/285B ??
Oxenhoath mill TQ 621 515 41/13 CTR 285B ??
Bourne mill TQ 627 503 51/1 or /2? CTR 163B Carr & Westley Ltd
Golden Green mill (Victoria mill) TQ 636 484 51/6 CTR 163B complete
Pierce mill TQ 648 486 appr 51/6 or /7? CTR 163B residential
Little mill TQ 657 482 51/7 CTR 284B residential
Local mills on R Medway:
Branbridges mill TQ 673 485 51/7 CTR 284B Arnolds Ltd
Teston mill (Tutsham oil mill) TQ 709 531 ruins
R Bourne water flows:
Flow as measured at Hadlow in cubic metres/sec (cumex). 19,000,000 gals/day = 1 cu m/sec.
50% of time: 0.29 cumex (cu. m/sec) 6,000,000 g/day
99.9% of time : >0.11 cumex (cu m/sec) 2,000,000 g/day
1% of time >2.3 cumex (cu m/sec) 40,000,000 g/day
Leybourne stream (estimates) for comparison:
Low flow 150,000 g/day
Average 500,000 g/day
Flood considerably above 10,000,000 g/day
Data from Alan Ferrell, Southern Water Authority, Miller House, Maidstone (~1980)
Site visits (~1980) M J Fuller.
Old mill: Rose Cottage red brick – hipped roof – well-proportioned windows – nestling at foot of steep wooden slope of valley – stream about 9’ wide, and sluggish. The only indications that a watermill had stood here was the remains of a rusty sluice set across what had once been the head of the mill pond in a heavily-wooded steep valley. The mill pond was dry, and greatly overgrown with willow, hazel, nettles and grasses that softened its outlines. It was about 75yds long, and was triangular in shape, with gently tapering sides, and a maximum width of about 25’. The waters of the infant river Bourne flowed through the bed of the pond, and below the fully-raised double gates of the sluice, which was set on a dressed stone plinth, between walls of the same material. Gates suggested a head of about 6’. Soldier’s Button and elderberry in profusion. Old Man’s Beard hanging 40’ from some trees. Private road to Butterworth’s Basted mill. Quarries near by. Basted Lane, off Quarry Hill Road.
Basted mill (paper): All modern buildings. Open areas. Grassed areas. River taken through modern concrete-lined channel. Considerably full – 4 x 2’ drops and steps. Water slopes down to first of them. At least a 10’ drop possible. Pond about 175 yds long and 20 – 75’ wide. Heavily silted in upper reaches. Whole area beautifully landscaped and maintained. Impossible to discern old outline. Head at this point about 20 – 25’ above ‘tail race’ lower downstream. Impossible even to guess location of old mill from extant evidence. 25” map will show it. Much waterweed near modern spillway – copious growth ascending from pond bottom - looked like conifers growing under water – probably suggesting nitrogen-rich pollution of the river. Mallard, dab chick, moorhen on the pond. Small bed of reeds, but maintenance, or something else, had kept pond clear of reeds, but not weeds. Steel piling, concrete emplacements. Road beside pond – also passes Old mill.
Lower Basted: Lost mill site? Bridle path 100yds downstream of the paper mill. Several springs join the river hereabouts. River only about 3’ wide where road crosses at junction of Mill Lane and Plough Hill. Heavily overgrown banks. Foliage almost meets over the water. Dark, shadowed, slow stream. Grey wagtails. Semi-mature woodland and scrub. No sign whatsoever even of the mill pond. Celandines, Soldier’s Button - cool under leaf canopy. Silence broken only by bird song – not even splash of water to suggest a waterfall, and possible site of the old mill. The only evidence for this mill ever having existed was the recording of it on the tithe map of 1840, although even this did not actually show a mill, but referred to it by name. It is therefore possible that it had been demolished by even this rather early date. Examination of the area in the vicinity of a bridle path that followed the river as it wound its way through a small wood revealed, not surprisingly, no trace of the mill, its site, or even a waterfall.
Winfield mill: This mill fell into disuse many years ago, and was marked as being ‘in ruins’ on the 1957 issue of the 1:25,000 OS map. When the site was examined in 1980 it was almost impossible to deduce anything from it, even with the prior knowledge that a mill had stood here. The area was heavily overgrown with scrub, reinforced at ground level with a dense carpet of stinging nettles, thus making close inspection somewhat impractical and painful. Large quantities of rag stone and dressed stone blocks were evident at a distance of some 50ft from the banks of the river, and these were both tumbled about, and in laid courses. It could not be decided whether they formed some remains of the mill, or some other associated property. Parts of the river bank near these stones were lined with dressed stone blocks, and a concrete and metal girder bridge crossed the river at this point, above a sloping spillway. This had a fall of only 2 – 3ft, and was not curved as it would have been had it formed the breast of a breast-shot wheel. There were some interesting carved stone blocks below the road bridge. Some stone and brick foundations on far side of the path suggested a building some 60’ long, with its further edge approx. 50’ from the water. Downstream of the spillway were two rebated, vertical, stone posts, set one into each bank, suggesting that they had been used to hold sluice boards. There was no sign of the overflow channel, or any sluices, but, in view of the difficulties encountered in trying to define even the boundaries of the pond, they may have been hidden from view in the general ground cover.
Roughway paper mill: Newly railed new ragstone bridge over the river, which was still stately and very clear, with a gravel/stone bed and some weed. Path beside the bypass (?) which had a small metal guillotine sluice. Cluster of old buildings. Red brick, clay tiled, single storey house (?) with slate roof. Tall red brick chimney. Modern buildings for the mill itself.
Hamptons: Not visited.
Oxenhoath: Visited 14/6/80. Part of building exists, but in parlous condition. Used mainly for storage and animal shelter. See drawings for best I could do by way of a ‘survey’ under the conditions and in the time available. No milling remains whatsoever, apart from a cross head gudgeon.. Rectangular building in stone with brick quoins, corbelling, and string course. Mortar courses finished with stone flakes. Ground floor absolutely full of domestic clutter, and at least a dozen cats. The ground floor contained a small elevated section. The lower section was occupied mainly by chickens roosting and nesting. The farmyard face of the building carried two planked doors – one level with the elevated section within. There were two gaps for windows, but these were completely open, without glass or even frames. On the garden face of the building, was a pond and sunken garden. Ducks were on the pond; hissing geese were waddling around; more cats and dogs; and ponies. Corrugated iron roof. The end wall – where the wheel once stood – was completely open, and the lower 3’ of the side walls were ragged as if the end wall (of stone) had been only 3’ tall. Rest of side wall ends were quite untouched, and all bricks were in place. So, how had it been closed in? Again, chicken and geese were nesting there, and a pony wandered around. A long ladder reached to the existing floor – 15’ up, and probably originally the 2nd floor of the mill. There was hay on this floor; cut holes in the flooring; and central trap doors. The river now follows the bypass route. Weir remains could be seen as stone remains on river bank. Sluice site seen as heavy (12” square) vertical timbers (badly rotted) on downstream side. Pond outline clearly visible, but full of grass, weeds, scrub. Owner now holds barbeques in sluice area, and in dip of original waterway, under canopy of hawthorn.
Bourne: - (1982 visit). Messrs Carr & Westley. Approached by steep narrow unmade trackway between tall hedges. Day of annual sale of surplus stock. Trestles laden with shoes, skirts, coats, blouses, dresses, and remnant material – all at very low prices. C & W make fine clothes in the converted mill. Converted from grist mill to dressmaking in 1947? Mr Gorringe lives in house on RHS of mill. Mr Brinklow lives in old stable block converted to a cottage for him and his wife. Wheel was removed (and scrapped) through fears of flooding should it have got blocked. Also flooding fears for cottage whose windows were level with wheel axle. Grooves on mill wall from wheel wear. Remains of axle and bearing. Also square shaft and pinions from pentrough gate control resting on timber spanning head race. Pit wheel remains, but visible only through a 9” x 18” hole in one of the external walls. No other cog pit gearing, but large wooden main shaft (24” dia) comes through ground floor and ends at a bearing on a ceiling beam. No sign of stone positions., but 4 or 5 stones set outside as steps. Shaft carries mortices for compass arm crown wheel (missing). Water main course rushed down curved (or multi-stepped) breast. U castings showed position of wheel gate. Footbridge over headrace overlooked small triangular pond (15 x 30 yds). Overflow sluice looked to carry modern sluice boards. Building newly decorated, with scaffolding still up at rear. Newly re-roofed. Plans to strip out bin roof area, and utilise properly when work completed. Racks of paper patterns on top floor. Large benches for cutting-out on floor below. Machine room on floor blow. Front door seemed to lead up onto the stone floor but by only a few steps – not enough to cover height of cog pit – perhaps steps also went down from the same door to cog pit level (not checked).
Gold Hill/Golden Green mill: Called this by MJF; not yet sure of ‘official’ name of mill – referred to as Victoria mill by Michael Roots. Set amongst arable and meadow land. Large red brick building integral with houses and outbuildings. Pitched roof with red clay tiles. Long row of small square windows under eaves. Tile-hung at end of pitched section. Some vertical end timbering from eaves down to first-floor level. Internal breast shot wheel. Broad, deep, tail race with only a few weeds. Rapidly narrows to form a channel, winding across meadowland. Mill owned by a charming elderly married couple - Mr & Mrs E D Atkins. She was 81 and he was 91 in 1980, and they met each other in Bangkok when he was a ‘teak wallah’. They had been at the mill for 40 years. Initial visit in 1980 - accidental. Passing by, when sign by roadside seen with ‘To the mill’. So went to the mill, via a path beside the tail race and pool, and through a little wooden gate beside the bypass sluice, and hence into the grounds.. Turned out it was not open at all, and the sign had been for the benefit of the local art club who had been sketching and painting at the mill, but the sign had got forgotten. So we were trespassing, but Mrs Atkins (Helene) actually apologised to us for leaving the sign out!! Mr & Mrs Atkins were an elderly and charming couple of great grace and charm. Mill approached by gravelled drive flanked with a beech or privet hedge. Drive opens out suddenly into a cobbled courtyard, with the mill and adjoining house on the right hand side, and an old coach house on the left hand side, and the head race immediately in front. Broken cider press in the coach house. All wood, including a huge wooden threaded screw – broken where the top plate joined the head plate.
Notes to accompany the 2 survey/drawings etc:
First visit – June 1980:
Trout in tailrace motionless against stream flow through bypass channel.
Smell of roses from garden; swifts, martins and swallows hunting over the tail race pool.
Mrs A’s nephew had slid down the slope of the main bypass on the current of water, to arrive in the tail pool below the mill.
Ground floor used for domestic and garden storage.
House martins’ nesting on beams in roof of wheel house.
Red and grey brick in wheel house.
Sluice boards 44” wide.
Wheel 83” wide over the buckets – low breastshot. 168” overall diameter. All iron, 2 bays, 36 buckets, L-shaped 10” x 10”.
7” square shaft, with 5” diam x 6” round journals. 8 cruciform double-tapered arms
Arms set cast in halves and bolted together. Integral with square hubs, with metal (?) wedges (2 – 8 per face).
Starts set in cast mortices. Buckets bolted onto starts. 2 bolts per start = 6 per bucket. Starts held by split pins above and below the shroud.
Shroud 4½” deep. Starts 17” x 2” made from L-bar. No sole plate.
Some debris in pit, but wheel clear of it. Few buckets rusted. Closed bearings with grease hole and mushroom cap.
Arched bulls-eye bricked in closely around shaft.
Single-seater WC in corner above bypass channel. Sluice boards (for bypass sluice), each with two, bent, rod-iron, handles of various lengths, stored nearby.
Second visit – August 1982:
Pit wheel – overhung, cast-iron frame in halves bolted together, and wedged onto shaft (see drawing 2). 8 T-section, double tapered, arms. Wooden cogs, nailed top and bottom, ca 120” diameter, 120 cogs, metal (?) wedges, shaft has castellated section at this point. Waterwheel bearings on turned portions of shaft – either closed or covered bearings. Pit and wheel bone dry.
Wallower – cast iron, wedged off vertical wooden shaft. 6-sided, webbed, cast iron, 35 teeth, ca 30”diameter. Vertical shaft here 6-sided. Wallower wedged (wood) off all 6 faces of main shaft - 2 big wedges were bolted through into the shaft.
Great spur wheel: cast iron frame, in halves, bolted together. 8 +section arms, tapered on one face only. Wooden cogs nailed top and bottom. 92 cogs, ca 80” diameter. 6-sided hub frame packed off main shaft with wooden wedges.
Main shaft: Wooden, circular, 50”circumf (17” diameter). Dressed into 6 sides for gear location. Wooden collar between bearing and wallower. Cross head gudgeon with 3 iron bands at bottom end. Journal 3” diameter at bridging box having 4 set screws, and bolted to a plinth which was bolted to a brick pier. Date 1848 on plinth.
Stone nuts: all missing, and nearly all timber beams had been replaced with steel RSJs.
Open trusswork supporting roof via the walls and line of central wooden posts. 2 stone nuts – one in store, and one in use off the crown wheel for a generator drive. Gas lighting. No milling furniture. Charming blend of domestic lumber and milling remains. Many old components for generating and storing electricity. Broken, all-wood, half pulley. Pieces of belt and fasteners. No bin floor, no bins, pitched roof open at 1st floor. No signs of hoist. Remains of dead wisteria in the close-boarded roof. Red brick walls. Almost continuous gallery of small 4-paned windows just at eaves level, around the three sides. Wisteria planted by Mr Atkins when they bought the property in 1939. Also a willow, near the sluices, but this interfered with water flow, and caused silting up, and was removed when the trunk was about 3” diameter.
Little mill: Fully converted, I suspect. Wheel gone. Building converted and maintained. No visit made.
Branbridges: Industrial site/premises – Arnolds (Branbridges) – light/medium engineering. Visited the m 12th Feb. 1982. Mill completely demolished by then; site had been flattened; no sign of a mill ever having been there. Met Mr W G P Arnold, who provided the following information. The Arnold family came to Branbridges in 1890 from Barley watermill at Frant, on the Kent/Sussex border. Mr FT Smith & Son (farmers), Lamberhurst – OS ref 890292 (what is the connection with them tho?). Water power at Branbridges was replaced with turbines, then gas engine, then oil engines. In the photograph of the farmers’ outing, the ‘boater’ is a member of the Arnold family. The barge is a steam-powered vessel – the ‘William Arnold’. The outing was an annual event (probably hosted – with free food and drink – by the Arnolds), but had to be discontinued because too many men got drunk and fell overboard. Flour production ceased in 1916/17. There was a fire during this period, and sabotage was suspected. Provender milling continued until about 1946, when the trade was sold to a company in Sussex. The buildings were converted, but burnt down in the 1960s. Light/medium engineering carried out on site now. In the shadow of the dam head was a sunken barge, and a family of friendly mallard. Passer-by might deduce something ‘milly’ from the warehouse towards the middle of the site. This was used for storing grain and flour/meal. The head of water was about 10’. Gas for the engine was made on site at a small gas works. The site is a mass of modern buildings, and thrives with activity on weekdays. Operates as Arnold (Branbridges) Ltd. I met Mr Arnold in Branbridge House, which used to be the miller’s house. Site is set in a generally flat area, with several waterways nearby. Flooding is frequent, with much of the site not infrequently under water. Set in confluence area of rivers Bourne, Medway, Teise, Beult. The large old stable block still stood, and this was a reminder of the great importance of the part played by horses, and the facilities needed to care for them. The mill used to be very large, physically, but barges could be run right up to the head race, and be offloaded via a lucam in the warehouse.
Mr Arnold lent me a photo of a farmers’ outing taken in front of the mill, and I took a copy and 35mm slide. 1890 25” OS sheet LI/7 marked mill as ‘Oil Mill’.
Miscellaneous snippets from East Kent Mills Group visit to R Bourne mills on 31st July 1982 – hosted/guided by Michael Roots.
Basted paper mill: modern works on site of mill burned down in 1917. Steam mill worked here until 1960. Only the mill pond remains of the old mill.
Winfield mill: only one piece of wall remains following demolition after WWII. Mill had a 12ft diameter by 6ft wide overshot wheel that drove corn grinding machinery.
Lound mill/Longmill: no visible remains other than inlet leat. Actual site of mill unknown but probable position could be conjectured.
Roughway paper mill: Water power replaced with, or augmented by, steam power. Truncated chimney still stands. Last worked in 1960. Had 9ft diameter and 4ft wide breastshot wheel that drove bellows for the steam engine. Machinery all removed. Used as a store/warehouse.
Hampton’s paper mill: Demolished about 1890. Only foundations remained. Looked as if wheel had been overshot (based on good fall), but difficult to tell in view of shortage of remains, and difficulty in deciding where the wheel had actually stood. Site now incorporated into domestic garden.
Oxenhoath mill: Only ‘first storey brick base remains’, the upper three wooden storeys having been demolished.
Bourne mill: Stopped work in 1948. Now is a factory. Large breastshot wheel gone, but its massive iron shaft remained. Upright shaft and associated gearing believed to still be inside.
Victoria mill (Golden Green): Ancient timber framed building with later brick infillings. Believed to be complete inside, but the breastshot wheel is said to be deteriorating. Visits denied.
Little mill: Little is left or known about this mill.
Tutsham/Teston oil mill: This is on the Medway, opposite the locks just upstream from Teston bridge. Good write-up about turbine pit, shafting, walling, dates – caught fire on 17th April 1885, theories about steam power, chimney flues, etc.
Plaxtol – A short history of a Kentish village – M Lewis, nd
Copy of the above given to mjf by Frank? Bangay; also a partial copy (¼) of an indenture, and some notes from parish records. Booklet contains a photograph of Winfield mill (nd) in good condition. Handwritten note on the photograph by Frank Bangay: ‘I have an indenture of 1779 selling mill, then a Tanning Mill, part copy attached.’ This part copy, which Mr Bangay gave me, makes no mention of anything to do with milling, so this is a bit odd. He also wrote; ‘Odhams Press gave stone from Mill for erection of entrance gates to Boro’ Green Rec. Ground. 1956. Pulled down by volunteers. Much more derelict than this (ie as in photo – mjf) when we started demolition.’ The booklet contains no information of milling or papermaking interest.
Part of work included tracing each mill/site from the tithe awards, and extracting data re; field/named areas in vicinity of the mill from the award. Done in KAO/Centre for Kentish Studies in Dec. 1982. Spellings/cap/etc as per originals.
Old mill and Basted mill: Wrotham? tithe map - CTR 406, Oct 1840, 13.3” : 1 mile
607 Five Acres 652 Coldheath field
608 Five Acres 653 Two acres
609 Five Acres Shaw 654 Mill Lane field
610 Shaw adjoining River 655 Mill Lane field Shaw
611 Mill Meadow & Old Road 656 Wents 5 acres
612 Parkfield Shaw 657 Went field
613 Swans Land 658 Stangate Shaw
627 Park field 659 Stangate Shaw
628 Park field meadow 660 Stangate Shaw Meadow
630 The Bottoms 663 Bastead lane wood
631 The Bottoms 664 Death &B Barkers field
632 Shaw 693 High Field
636 House paper Mills cottage Gardens etc p44 694 High Field Shaw
637 First field 696 -
638 Further field 697 Yew tree field
641 Pond wood 703 Long meadow
642 Mill meadow 704 Short Bottoms
643 Banky piece 705 Greens Wood
645 Banky piece Shaw 708 Piece before Plough
648 Went field 713 Long Ground & Oast house
649 Went field shaw 716 The Moors
650 Went field shaw 717 Old Garden
651 Bastead field 722 Charts barn field, Broad field, Pond
647 Cottage garden & Old Mill
647 (Old mill)Jonⁿ Biggs leased from H A Wildes.
636 (Basted paper mill) H A Wildes owner/occupier of 636 – 646 inc.
Lower Basted mill: (between Basted and Winfield mills I reckon, but why do I think there had been a mill there at all?
611 Mill meadow & Old road (all meadow) ]
628 Mill orchard ] no mention of a mill as such at all. Already closed
] down by 1840??
632 Shaw ]
All leased by John Benge from H A Wildes.
Roughway mill: Same map/award as above – Wrotham, CTR 406
220 Lay field 258 Great hop garden
222 Tinisland 260 (omitted)
223 Lower Plaxtol meed 261 Adjoining Lower mead
225 Pook meadow 262 Lower hop garden mead
226 Foot path field 263 Larkings meadow
227 3 cornered field 264 Cottage & garden
230 Field adjoining meadow 265 Morris’ mead
231 Cottage hop garden 280 Hamstalls
232 Homestead 281 Little meadow
233 Plantation 282 Barrack meadow
234 Bridge meadow 343 Mill Shaw
235 Meadow 344 Suttons
236 Johns Land 345 Sprat piece
245 Forge meadow & barn 346 Meadow before Barracks
247 Thisley field 347 Mill shaw
248 Field by brook 348 Aldershaw
249 Ash plantation 349 Golding hop garden
250 Pond 350 9 acres & foot path field
251 Mill, Cottage, Meadow 353 Warp field
252 Upper mead 355 Allens Green orchard
253 Lower hop garden 356 Long hop garden
255 Upper mead 357 8 acres
?? 251 Roughway mill: G Green from John Buttanshaw ??
Winfield mill: Wrotham tithe map, CTR 406.
112 7 acres 599 Mill outbuildings Garden
113 6 acres 600 Shaw above mill
496 Home Hop Garden 601 Oasthouse bank
497 In Hop Garden 602 North Clays
508 Rough little meadow & hopper house 603 Old Garden
509 Foot path field 604 Garretts well
510 In path field 606 Golding meadow
511 Part of Shaw adjoining 608 Pt of 5 acres
517 Slip before house 713 Long ground & Oast house
519 Plaxtol hop garden 716 The Moors
520 Little Fibs(?) 717 Old Garden
528 Lower Tibbs 718 2½ acres
596 The Bogs 719 5 acres
597 The Bogs 720 4 acres
(599 Winfield mill)
Hamptons mill: CTR 334 (Beautiful little map – good colours – well figured), 1847, Shipbourne. Western half – see other entry for Hamptons below.
720 Puttenden field (pp9/10) 729 Mill meadow (pp29/30)
721 Puttenden field 730 Mill Bank
723 Great meadow 732 Shaw
724 Part of Great meadow 734 Lower Meadow
725 Stream 740 Broom field
726 House Paper Mills Yards &C 742 The Hopes
728 Mill Meadow
Mill; rented by William Mullet, from Maximilian Dudley Digges Dalison.
Oxenhoath mill: CTR 285, 1839, West Peckham.
197 Shalfords meadow 227 Meadow
206 Clear Hedges Copse 228 (road or waste)
218 Twelve acres 229 Meadow
219 Mill stream & pond (p14) 230 Garden
220 Mill stream 231 House Mill & Barn
221 Island & stream 232 Stream
223 Meadow 233 (road or waste)
224 Pasture 234 Taking
225 (road or waste) 235 Ten acres
226 Mill stream
Hamptons mill: CTR 285, 1839, West Peckham. Is this different to Hamptons mill above? Have I got one of the names wrong? No! Boundary right through middle of river, so mapped in 2 separate halves. This is the Eastern half. The one above is the Western half.
182 (no name) 197 Shalfords meadow
183 Shaw 235 Ten acres
185 Park 236 Shaw
186 Park 239 Cripps meadow
188 Plantation 240 (no name)
189 (road or waste) 257 Park
190 Barn field
191 (road or waste)
192 Paper mill (part of) } p10
193 House & garden }M.D.D.D. & Himself MDDD = Maxmilian Dudley Digges Dalison.
194 Mill meadow }
Pierce mill: Hadlow tithe map, CTR 163, 1844, 13.3”/mile.
924 Pierce Mill Hop Garden (pp24/32) 1058 House & Garden
932 Pierce Mill field 1059 Arable
933 Strakes 1062 Wier Croft
934 Ten Acres 1063 Pierce Mill Meadow
935 The Groves 1064 Part of Trevets(??)
1057 Fatting pen Meadow
Golden Green/Goldhill mill: Hadlow tithe map, CTR 163, 1844, 13.3”/mile.
866 Barn field
877 House Mill & Yard (George Verrells from Richard Porter) 886 Gold hill meadow
878 Fruit Plantation 887 Lower Great field
879 Fruit Plantation 888 Ash Plantation
880 Green Field 937 Lower Meadow
881A Great Meadow 953 Forge field
881 Great Meadow 954 Slip
883 Wood field 955 Garden
884 Homestead 958 Orchard
885 Five acres 962 Batten Land
963 Green field
Bourne mill: Hadlow tithe map, CTR 163, 1844, 13.3”/mile.
156 The Hope Park 404 Meadow
165 Shaw 405 Homestead
306 Three Acres and a half 408 House Garden, Mill and Homestead
307 Pond Meadow 409 Orchard
308 Six Acres 410 Meadow
309 Mill Hop Garden 411 Shaw
311 Mill Meadow 412 Shaw
312 Upper Mill Meadow 413 Haugh field
313 Flaggy plat 414 Pasture
314 Little Shaw 415 Pasture
315 Great Meadow 418 Orchard
393 Barn Slip 419 Young Orchard
400 Gravel pit field 421 Slip
401 Gravel pit field 422 Nine Acres
402 Haugh field 491? Dog Pits
Little mill: East Peckham tithe map, CTR 284, 1842.
?261 Little Church field p31 575 Orchard p31
517 Addlested field p27 578 Mill Dam Roadway House & Premises p31
522 Hither Clothe hedge field p27 583 Flanders field
523 Further Clothe hedge field p27 585 Tanyard House & Premises p31
529 Six acre Brook mead p27 586 Tanyard field
530 Fifteen acre Brook mead p27 587 House field
531 Daunt mead p27 588 Orchard field
532 Loam pit mead p12 592 Wilkins field
533 Old River Plantation p12 594 Old Hop Garden
537 Duck mead p6 595 Footway & Little field p25
542 Stroods Bourn field p32 596 Mill Pond mead p25
544 Plantation p32 597 Six corner field p25
545 Cook mead p32 598 Longhams p25
550 Further Tanner mead p6 599 Penstock mead p25
551 Hither Tanner mead p6 614 House field p10
552 Cats Tail Plantation p11 615 Pickfish orchard p10
564 Little mill ten acres p33 620 Wear field p10
566 Bunyard six acres p33 621? Pickfish barn field p10
573 Long mead p31
578 Mill: George Simmons – Owner; Thomas Martin – Occupier.
585 Tanyard: George Simmons – Owner and Occupier.
Branbridges mill: CTR 284, East Peckham tithe map, 1842.
538 Oaken field p32 807 House mead p10
648 Uptail and Shaw p24 811 Great slade p8
649 Wear field p24 812 Plantation p8
675 Sluice weir field p11 813 House Mills and Premises p8
677 Sluice weir plantation p11 814 Little slade mead p8
678 Great William field p11 818 Duckwood field p6
680 Little William mead p11 819 Duck wood shaw p6
681 Braky field p11 822 Branbridge Wharf & Premises p27
682 Mill field p11 832 Wharf Plantation p5
684 Ozier beds p11 833 Wharf field p5
685 Kitchen field p11 835 Water lane field p11
687 Long croft shaw p6 847 Island field p6
688 Rail mead p6 850 -
689 Great Comps p6 852 Branbridge Plantation p9
693 Midge mead p6 853 Branbridge mead p9
694 Fish Pond mead p14 854 Torbay Plantation p27
799 Bridge Meadow p28 855 Broom field p7
(813 Mill etc: Thomas Hugh Boorman – Owner. Himself & others - Occupiers.)
Early deeds covering the construction of what I believe at the present time to be Hampton paper mill.
All in CKS Maidstone. Examined in Jan 1976. Contents paraphrased by me.
U235 T13 13th November 1699.
U522 E5/5 3rd June 1740.
U522 T13 1759 – 1844.
Indenture 13th Nov 1699 between Sir Humphry Miller of Oxenhoath in W Peckham Bart of 1st part and Thomas Dallison of Hampton in W Peckham Esq and Charles Selby of Inner Temple of 2nd part, and Sir Henry Selby Serjt June ? Knight & Serjeant at Law Perrifull Bart of Lullingstone Esq, William Fames of Ightham, and William Dixon of Maidstone Councellar at Law of 3rd part
The said Miller for 5/- paid by Dallison/Selby hath demised, granted, bargained, and sold to Dallison and Selby – the Manors of Oxenhoath and Badlesmere Also Capital Messuage or Mansion of Oxenhoath House, dove house, brew house, etc, 6-2-20 (acres etc), Orchard, formerly hop ground 2-0-0, Park called Oxenhoath Park 133-0-0, 20 acres river meadow, wood/woodland and arable of 41-0-0, pasture 17-2-½, “and also two Meadowes between the Mills” 15-0-0, 5 parcels of arable 62-0-0, Blacklands 7-0-16, all now in tenure or occupation of Miller, Also New ffarme etc 66-2-19 in tenure of Miller, “And also one Corne Mille and twenty and seven Acres three Roods and twenty and eight perches of land arrable and pasture with the said Corne Mille used and enjoyed now in the tenure or occupation of Robert Webb” All in Wrotham, Hadlow, and W Peckham. ................... “And all that Messuage or tenement and one water mille called Windfield Mille and all the barnes stables edifices buildings gardens orchards lands arrable meadow pasture and wood thereunto belonging and therewith used letten occupied or enjoyed containing by estimation twenty acres and situate lyeing and being in Wrotham or Plaxtol aforesaid or one of them heretofore in the occupation of Thomas Farrett his assignee or assignees and now in the occupation of John Dutnall” ... To have and to hold to T Dallison and C Selby ... for 1 year ... And Sir Henry Perrifull, William Fames, William Dixon shall be ...
Articles of agreement between Thomas West of West Peckham, Carpenter, and William Buttanshaw of Wrotham, Papermaker, concerning Building the Paper Mill at West Peckham. Date 3rd June 1740.
“ ... Thomas West ... will Erect Build and set up and do and perform all the work hereafter particularly mentioned in and belonging to a Drying Loft already Begun Scituate at or near Hamptons in the Parish of West Peckham aforesaid containing Twenty four foot wide and Seventy foot Long ... ”, To provide all material ... “Tyles Laths Nails Iron Sand and Lime and all other Materials whatsoever ... ”, “ ... Erect Set up and finish the sd work at or before the Twenty Ninth day of September next ensuing ... ”, Bottom of wall plate to top of Reason (?) 10′, 2 doorcases 7′ high, 3′ wide 7″ x 6″ square, 7 windows 3 lights to each, 3′ in glass by 1′ 4″ each light, 2 casements with saddle barrs & to be glazed, the jams 5″ x 4″, lintels 10″ x 4″ of oak, window boards Double Deals Slitt, wall plates 8″ x 7″, Girders 14″ x 10″, Joysts 6″ x 3″. “The flower to be Laid with White Double Deals Slitt”, posts 10′ x 8″ x 8″ for the bottom of the fframes, the Reason plate 7″ x 6″, beams 8″ x 10″, principal rafters 5″ x 3″, top rafters 4″ x 3″, rafters and joists “to be thirteen Inches asunder”, roof entertises 7″ x 6″, Collar beams and shuts 6″ x 3″, middle punchings 6′ x 6′, entertises 6″ x 4″, “under the Entertises Quarter & feather Edge boards of Deal, from the Entertises upwards to the Reason plate to be done with Deal, for Shutters, outer part four Inches wide full three Quarters of an Inch thick, The Inner part four Inches square, five Inches Wide, Shutter three Quarters of an Inch thick, The Rails two Inches and an halfe by one Inch and an halfe Square”, laths for tiling to be worth 3/- per bundle, the roofs of flat tiles laid in mortar, 28 treble sides and 8 standards to each bay, treble sides 3¼″ x 2½″, standards 4″ x 4″, one pairs of stairs 3′ wide, lock to one door and iron bolt to other, all yellow deal for outside work and “Thomas West to buy of Thomas Dalyson Esquire what timber shall be convenient for the sd work and Building.” £175.
U522 T13 (3 documents): 1759 – 1844. A newly erected paper mill at West Peckham.
27/11/1759 Lease for 21 years from 1/10/1759 @ £45pa. Isabella Dalyson and Wm Dalyson to Mrs Eliz Buttonshaw.
Between ID of Hamptons (W Peckham) Widow, WD of Hamptons, eldest son of Thomas Dalyson late of Plaxtoll by him begotten on body of ID of 1st part, & Eliz B of W Peckham Widow of the other part. Witnesseth that for yearly rent and conditions detailed and on behalf of EB to be observed Then ID and WD have demised sett and to farm letten unto EB All that tenement with app being part of a Mess late of said Thos D as the same is now and for some time past has been parted and divided from the residue of the said mess, and also half of barn and stable belonging to said tenement, together with the new erected paper mill, dam, streams, yards, garden thereto belonging, And 4 pieces meadow and arable land thereto belonging, all being 5 acres. All formerly in tenure of William Steddolph, since of Thos. Dalyson, late of Will. Buttenshaw and now of Eliz. Buttanshaw, except all timber and timberlike trees and trees likely to grow to timber, species, sampling, young standards and standards pollards and any which would grow, and fugress(?) egress and regress for ID and WD and friends , associates, servants, workmen, labourers or any of them with horses, carts and carriages to come go stay return into upon out of and from the premises, and to fell, hew, cut down, square, make up, rart (?), razzy and have away trees etc etc. Examine for need of repairs And Also to grubb, pull up the hedge and fence growing and being between the mill pond and the river and to lay level and make open the ground between the pond and the river So as they shall within 3 months after grubbing up sett make and set up a good wall or fence in lieu. Also the right to hawk, hunt fish but no wilful damage or hurt. To have and to hold unto EB from 10.10.1759 for 21 years Yielding and paying (at or in Hamptons) £12pa and also £33 as an increase of rent or for the interest of £550 laid out by TD the father in creating or building the mill payable at 5th April and 10th Oct. And also paying yearly (at Hamptons) over and above the yearly rents by even portions of £5 for every acre of meadow ploughed or dug up or sown with any manner of corn, grain, seed Also that ED will within 1 year put the mess and mill and premises into good repair. And in a workmanlike manner build a good convenient Soll fit and proper for the mill and make and raise the foundations thereof as high as the top of the ffatt (?) belonging to the mill with bricks or stone and make, set, provide and set up in the soll 4 good iron presses fit and proper for the use of the mill (EB having rough timber allowed her by ID for the work). Keep all in good order and leave quietly after 21 years. Also lay in the barn etc all corn grain hay as shall grow on the land except the hay from last year (which EB can carry off). All grain and hay they will fodder out and spend in and upon the lands and not elsewhere. And all dung muck and sulledge to be spread on land in most need. Also allow EB enough and sufficient good and proper rough Oak & Elm at the mess or within 3 miles of it for repairing mess, mill and build the soll all to be used within 1 year and to be felled and taken away at cost of EB.
15/10/1835 Surrender Release of mill & premises in W Peckam and Shipbourne. John Buttanshaw and another, and Maximilian Dudley Digges Dalison.
John Buttanshaw, West Peckham - 1st part. Henry Buttanshaw, Nicells, Wrotham - 2nd part. M D D Dalison, Hamptons, W Peckham - 3rd part.
By lease 30/8/1809 between Frances Isabella Master, widow 1st part; and John Buttanshaw dec’d (father of above JB) 2nd part; and Henry Buttanshaw 3rd part, FIM demised to JB all that mess, barn, stable, together with paper mill, dams, streams etc, and 5 pieces of meadow belonging to mess being 5-2-31, formerly in occupation of William Steddolph, since of Thos Dalison dec’d, afterwards William Buttonshaw dec’d, and then late Eliz Buttanshaw, and then late of John Buttonshaw (party thereto) except reserved to FIM heirs and ass all manner of timber and timberlike trees and trees likely to grow to timber species, samplings, young standards and standards pollards & any which would grow, also right to hawk, hunt, course, set fish and fowl. To hold the same to JB for 21 years (since passed) at £80pa plus £10 per acre of meadow and pasture broken or disturbed without written consent of FIM.
& Whereas by articles of agreement 11/9/1818 between FIM and JM (dec’d) FIM agreed to grant to JB a good lease in law of mess, mill, land etc for 9 years from 25/3/1830 at £100pa.
& Whereas FIM by her Will & Test. of 8/6/1811gave these premises to MDDD by his then name of Maximilian Dudley Diggs Hammond for his natural life and power to lease for 21 years maximum.
& Whereas no lease has been granted & Whereas JB died 12/2/1827 and by Will and Test.of 26/4/1819 had not bequeathed the property, appointed JB and HB Legatees of his mill, and JB alone has since proved the will.
& Whereas JB with consent of MDDD and HB did lately agree with George How Green of Basted mill, Paper Maker, that GHG should be lessee of property under a lease to be made to him by MDDD for 21 years from 11/10/1833 at £100 pa on 5th Jan, April, July, and 11th Oct. GHG to insure and keep insured from loss by fire in name of MDDD in value of £500 for mess barn and outbuildings, and £1000 for mill and buildings connected therewith and produce receipts on demand, and rebuild or restore fire damage. JB was GHG surety for first 5½ years.
Now this indenture witnesseth that for 10/- paid to JB by MDDD, JB surrenders yields up remises and releases to MDDD.
On reverse of 2nd leaf:
This indenture 2/7/1841 between JB (now Nevill Park, Tunbridge Wells) of 1st part and MDDD of 2nd part witnesseth that for £950 paid by MDDD to JB, JB absolutely acquits, releases, and discharges MDDD. JB for himself etc doth hereby remise, release, and for ever quit claim the said MDDD etc all actions, suits, cause of action.
Lease of a Paper Mill messuage and premises MDDDalison to William Mullett:
This document was much cut about, and a lot was missing. Date 1844 perhaps, but still to be checked.
Lease for 7 years at £350pa. £68-6-0 paid for articles on the premises. Hath demised and leased to WM Paper Mill and machinery and messuage, chaise house, stable, etc with reservation that landlord and heirs etc had sole right of fishing in the stream.
My summary of U522 T13:
1699 Sir Humphrey Miller sold the manors of Oxenhoath and Badlesmere to Thomas Dallison and Charles Selby. This included a corn mill leased by Robert Webb, and Windfield mill leased formerly by Thomas Farrett, and now by John Dutnall.
1759 Dalisons leased the (which?) mill to Eliz Buttanshaw for 21 years at £12pa. Salle to be built from timber on the estate. Hedge to be grubbed and a wall built. £33pa for interest on £550 spent by Thos Dalison (now dead) in building the mill. £5 pa per acre sown with seed. 4 presses to be installed in the mill. Formerly in occupation of :
Eliz. Buttanshaw ( ====== John Buttanshaw)
1809 Frances Masters leased mill to J Buttanshaw Jr for 21 years at £80 pa and £10 pa per acre sown with seed. Frances Masters is widowed.
1811 Frances Master bequeathed mill to Max. D D Hammond for his natural life, with power to grant a maximum of 21 year leases.
1818 Articles of agreement between Frances Masters and John Masters (deceased). Frances Masters granted mill etc to John Buttanshaw from 1830 at £100 pa for 9 years.
1827 J Buttanshaw (Sr ?) died 1827 and by his will of 1819 appointed JB (Jr ?) and Henry B as legatees – JB alone proved the will.
1833 J Buttanshaw (with consent of MDDD and HB) leased the mill etc to George How Green of Basted mill, papermaker, for 21 years at £100 pa. GHG to insure house etc for £500, and mill etc for £1000.
1835 MDDD paid John Buttanshaw 10/- and JB surrendered and released the property to MDDD.
When did ownership pass from Dalyson to Masters?
Why, in 1811, had MDD been a Hammond, although Dalyson existed before and after this time.
Are there 2 mills here?
1841 MDDD paid John Buttanshaw £950 for the property.
1844? MDDD leased paper mill, house, etc to William Mullett for 7 years at £350pa.
M J Fuller 20/1/06